Here’s a quick tip on LinkedIn that EVERYONE should implement….customize your personal URL on LinkedIn. Some call it a Vanity URL. Basically, it’s the URL where your personal profile is stored and can be found and viewed by others.
LinkedIn assigned an automatically-generated URL by default when you first created your profile. So it probably includes some random numbers and letters that make the URL unnecessarily messy and hard to ready. That’s why Linked allows you to customize your profile URL.
For a couple of reasons.
1. Keeping it short and sweet will make it easier to share with others (in your email signature for instance) and build your network.
2. Your personal URL is visible to Google. So if you create a URL that includes your name (or even your company name), you may be easier to find online…which is a good thing if you’re a consultant or business owner that wants to be found online and do more business.
In fact, I tried this myself by typing “Mark Badran” into Google … Lo and behold, the very first search result is the URL for my LinkedIn profile which is www.linkedin.com/in/markbadran. Which, by the way, is a lot cleaner and easier to use than www.linkedin.com/in/markbadran29389/ahuorou
How To Change Your LinkedIn URL
1. Select “Edit Profile” from the main LinkedIn menu
2. Click “Edit” next to the URL under Public Profile
3. Click “Customize Your URL” on the next screen that pops up
4. Type in the new URL and click “Set Custom URL”
Want more tips like this?
Sign up for our VAR Marketing Newsletter